Prepare For a Home Inspection
It is always a good idea to be prepared for a home inspection. Before an inspection
make a list of questions or concerns about the property. Every question is very important
and it should be addressed before or after a home inspection. You are buying the property which is big investment, so you need to get a lot of information in order to gain valuable knowledge about the property technical condition.
During the home inspection, it is always recommended that buyer accompany home
inspector on the property inspection. In this way you will be able to get better picture about the home systems and components. Also, by attending the inspection, you have a chance to learn about characteristics of the home and get in-depth information about the property.
Real estate agent should talk to seller to make sure that all areas are readily accessible,
so inspection can go smoothly. These are steps to be taken to prepare home for home inspection.
- Utilities are turned on electric, water, gas.
- Pilot lights are lit. All fire-gas mechanical components should be lit.
- Attic, basement and crawlspace needs to be readily accessible.
- Electrical panels and sub-panels are accessible and cover can be readily removed.
- Heating and air-conditioning units are accessible.
- Doors are unlocked or leave keys for any locked areas (e.g. garage, storage).
- Access to under sink plumbing are not blocked at kitchens and bathrooms.
- Move furniture and personal items that may be blocking/preventing entry.
- Water heater is accessible.
- Pets are secured and completely under control.
- Empty the dishwasher and washer-dryer.